Here are the salient facts:
- The AAU National Diving Championships are in California from July 18-22
- Shani is taking Alex
- This leaves me and Jack on our own
- The Chicago Cubs are home that weekend
The conclusion was obvious. Or so it seemed. But then I started looking at making it happen. Flights were super expensive and I couldn’t get there using frequent flyer miles. Hotels were expensive too. I even started looking for an alternative. Houston? Minnesota?
Then I opened Google maps.
A new set of salient facts became apparent.
- Chicago is a 12-hour drive from New Jersey
- Detroit is on the way to Chicago
- The Detroit Tigers are home that weekend
- Cleveland is on the way home from Chicago
- We have good friends in Cleveland
- The Cleveland Indians are home that weekend
Again…obvious conclusion. Here’s the route:
We’ve got Tigers on Friday at 7:05 PM, Cubs on Saturday at 1:05, Indians on Sunday at 1:05. Over the course of a 72-hour period, it breaks down to:
- 26 hours of driving
- 15 hours of baseball
- 24 hours of sleep (we hope)
- 7 hours for other crap
If all goes according to plan, by July 21st, Jack and I will have visited 17 of the 30 MLB parks together. There is a term for this.